The Major events of ATIBT
ATIBT International Forum
Since 1982 every two years, ATIBT has organized its Forum, which brings together the members of the association and, more broadly, the stakeholders in the tropical timber industry, in countries linked to the industry or the tropical timber market . This event, which punctuates the life of ATIBT, is a moment of privileged exchanges for all the members on the format of two days of debates and interventions gathering the specialists of the tropical timber industry. Each new edition proposes a different theme, in relation to the evolutions and issues of the sector and hosts between 150 and 200 participants.
The first ATIBT Forum takes place in Rome and then in the following years in cities all around the world: Manaus, Marrakech, Washington, Hong Kong, Lisbon, Valencia, Libreville, Istanbul, Rome, Brussels, Athens, Shanghai, Belém, Chi Minh City, Brazzaville, Amsterdam, Milan …
This year, on Sunday 5th and Monday 6th March 2017, we decided to organise it in the heart of the Middle East, in Dubai, a place of business and a strategic logistics hub, by joining our forces to Dubai WoodShow, a major international trade fair. The theme was “Tropical forest: timber, and so much more”, which is consistent with the slogan of our brand Fair & Precious.
The destination of the next Forum is still to be determined
Racewood is the exclusive meeting for all the stakeholders in the tropical timber industry in Africa and brings together about 100 European and African companies looking for economic, technological and environmental partnerships:
- to discover the strengths of the timber industry in Africa in the context of the new international market rules
- to benefit from the offer of certified products from African producers involved in certification and sustainable forest management
- to participate in the dynamics of the forest sector and processing industries at the regional level
- to anticipate the development of local markets and wood construction in Africa.
These meeting took place in 2004 in Libreville (Gabon), in 2006 in Accra (Ghana), in 2010 in Douala (Cameroon) and in 2011 in Pointe Noire (Congo).
The next edition is expected to be held in Gabon in 2018
In order to be as close as possible to the realities of the field and the stakes of the sector, the ATIBT is surrounded by thematic working groups, on a voluntary basis.
The groups are defined as follows:
The Scientific Council, which brings together leading scientists from the sector, both members and non-members of ATIBT.
The objectives of the Scientific Council are:
- advising, guiding and supporting the decision-making of ATIBT General Management and Board of Directors.
- contribute to scientific rigor in the scientific approaches and projects of ATIBT
- disseminate research findings to ATIBT members.
The Commissions, which bring together the members of the association, sometimes with external speakers, who wish to contribute to the reflection on the main themes of the sector.
These Commissions are:
- Marketing Commission: Coordinator Christine Le Paire
- Logistics Commission : Coordinator Didier Raux
- Timber material & Normalization Commission: Coordinator Patrick Martin
- Training Commission: Coordinator Patrick Martin
- Forest & Transformation Commission : Coordinator Jacqueline Lardit-van de Pol
- Certification Commission: Coordinator Caroline Duhesme