« Scientific results and policy choices for sustainable forest management »
The 3rd Steering Committee of the DynAfFor project was held on November 28, 2017, in the meeting room of the Mansel Hotel in Yaoundé (Cameroun).
The steering committee’s main objectives were:
- present and validate the 2016 technical and financial report (while making audit accounts available) as well as the 2017-2018 program of activities;
- make recommendations regarding the first scientific results;
- officially launch the P3FAC project and present its objectives.
This meeting was organized by the Central African Forests Commission – COMIFAC – jointly with ATIBT. It was held under the patronage of the Ministry of Forestry and Wildlife of Cameroon (MINFOF). The technical and scientific partners, Nature +, CIRAD and Gembloux Agro-Bio Tech were represented. It benefited from financing from the main donor of the DynAfFor project, the French Global Environment Facility – FFEM.
Were present at this steering committee, as members:
- COMIFAC, Chair of the Steering Committee (H.E.A, Mr. Gervais Itsoua Madzous);
- ATIBT, Vice-Chairperson of the Steering Committee (Mr. Benoit Jobbé-Duval);
- the French Global Environment Facility – FFEM (Mrs Aurélie Ahmin-Richard);
- the representatives of the administrations in charge of Forests in the target countries (Cameroon, Congo, Gabon, CAR, DRC);
- the three private sector associations members of ATIBT (GFBC, FIB, UFIGA) and some of their members;
- the Chairman of the Scientific and Technical Committee;
- the project owner – ATIBT – and the prime contractors – Nature +, CIRAD, Gembloux Agro-Bio Tech.
The opening ceremony was followed by the presentation of the 2016 technical and financial report, as well as the 2017-2018 program of activities, highlighting (1) the two-year extension of the project and (2) the first drafts of a communication plan for DynafFor projects but also P3FAC;
Then took place the reading of the report of the CST, meeting on November 27, 2017, the presentation of the MINFOF « How to integrate the results of the research in the forest regulations? The example of the Scientific Advisory Committee of Cameroon « and finally, the official launching ceremony of the P3FAC project to finish with the closing word of the President.
As highlights of this steering committee, we can note many recommendations made by the members, concerning:
- practical preparation and implementation of the Steering Committee (COPIL DynAfFor and P3FAC will be common in the future)
- the valorisation and communication plan, with the pooling of the COMIFAC / OFAC databases, a common website of the DynAfFor and P3FAC projects, the addition of training organizations (such as RIFFEAC) in the target groups of the training plan, and communication services of the different ministries, and finally the extension of communication objectives to the international scientific world
- technical and political actions, including the publication and dissemination of a map of forest types in Central Africa, a prerequisite for considering changes to the planning procedures in the countries