On Tuesday, September 22, 2020 was held in Abidjan, from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm at the Palm Club Hotel, the workshop on Traceability and Certification, organized by ATIBT and SPIB, as part of the implementation of activities of the FLEGT-IP and FLEGT-REDD Project in Côte d'Ivoire.
In view of the health situation, the workshop took place with a mix of live and web-based intervention.
The workshop brought together 47 participants in person and 11 connected via Zoom from various actors in the wood sector, industrialists, forest managers, producers of secondary products, members of civil society, craftsmen and the participation of the GIZ in particular.
The general objective of this workshop was to improve the knowledge of stakeholders of the Ivorian FLEGT VPA on third party verified certification and computerized traceability systems, in a clear and simple way to improve forest governance in Côte d'Ivoire and to facilitate the implementation of the Ivorian LAS, a key element of the future FLEGT VPA.
The two specific objectives were :
- To demonstrate the benefits of third party verified forest certification for the Ivorian FLEGT VPA process
- To facilitate the implementation of the future national wood traceability system.
- Opening session
- The FLEGT process in Côte d'Ivoire and Traceability
- Traceability tools
- Certification and FLEGT VPAs
- Legal and/or sustainable certification standards
- Closing Remarks and Be to Be Cocktails
See the speakers' presentations :
The FLEGT REDD and FLEGT IP projects are funded by the FFEM and the EU respectively.
Tropical timber projects